Today I have a layout I created for Picture This!, a brand new challenge blog. The challenge recipe was to use a 1 photo, a sunburst and some paint.
It took me a little while but I finally came up with page of my daughter and one of her friends at the roller skating rink for her birthday. I also made posted a tutorial below on a quick easy way to make a sunburst.
Here is a super easy way to make a sunburst with paper for either half your layout or for an entire 12x12 page.
1. You will need a 6x6 piece of paper and then fold it in half like shown below.
2. Then fold it in half again.
3. Unfold and number the triangles, 1 through 4.
4. Cut the triangles on the fold lines.
5. Take a 12x12 piece of paper and cut it in half so it is 6 in wide. Then starting with triangle #1 in the bottom left corner trace around it and then line up #2 next to it and trace and so on till you get to #4 and then use triangle #1 again like in the below picture.
6. Once all triangles are traced it should look like this.
7. Now cut along your traced lines. I knew I wanted to use 2 different patterned papers and because I'm lazy I held another piece of paper behind the one that I drew the lines on and cut both pieces at the same time. If you are uncomfortable doing that then just repeat the above process on as many other papers you would like to use. Once all cut out you can see what it looks like on half of a page. Since I used 2 pieces of papers there are enough pieces to do a full page but I only wanted to do half.
8. This is an extra step. Because I was using a pattered paper as my base for the sunburst and I wanted some of it to be within the sunburst I took a few of the triangle pieces and cut it a little smaller. Make sure to keep the point of the triangle the thinnest part and the wider part at the top to be where you take more off. Like the example below.
Here are some close ups of my finished sunburst. I thinly spread some Gesso with an old gift card on the edges of the triangles, distressed some of the edges once the Gesso dried and then sewed some extra rays onto the sunburst. Flicked some mists onto it and viola, all done!
Patterned paper: Crate Paper Oh Darling, My Minds Eye Jubilee, Basic Grey J'Adore
Embellishments: My Minds Eye, Freckled Fawn, Crate Paper Maggie Holmes
Stickers: Elle's Studio, Washi Tape
Mixed Medias: Gesso, Water colors, Heidi Swapp Color Shine
Writing Tools: Zig
Ribbon/fibers: Sewing thread
Challenge Site: Picture This!